PCGS – Third Party Grading
- About PCGS
- Why grade your coins/banknotes?
- PCGS Submission Tiers and Fees
- 2023 Shipping Dates
- Submission Process
PCGS are one of the largest third party grading provider and one of the most recognized and respected. Having graded over 42.5 million coins since the start, PCGS have paved the way for coin certification including implementing specialised encapsulation and anti-counterfeit measures making numismatic investments more trustworthy and realise higher prices.
PCGS also offer a large range of extra resources including PCGS CoinFacts, a comprehensive online encyclopedia; PCGS Population Report, a census of all coins ever graded by PCGS; Certified Coin Exchange, the most respected online dealer-to-dealer trading network; and the unique PCGS Set RegistrySM, where collectors can showcase their collections and interact and compete with other serious collectors.
Why grade your coins and banknotes?
When you have your numismatic investments certified, authenticated, attributed and graded by a third party service provider, you can rest assured knowing that only the best in the business have made such assessment. Each expert works independently in a controlled environment that provides optimum conditions for studying the characteristics and physical condition of each coin/banknote. A series of graders enters independent determinations in a computer database until a consensus is reached and the final grade is assigned.
They are stored (encapsulated) in special sealed PVC free plastic cases that display their grade and other relevant information. The certification process provides accurate information for the purposes of valuation, trade-ability and security. This protects the coin/banknote from fingerprints, environmental contaminants and other damage whilst still allowing it to be viewed.
With the amount of counterfeit coins and banknotes available around the world, it is important to guarantee the authenticity of your coins and banknotes with a third party grader.
The condition of a coin or banknote is described on a scale of 1 – 70, with 1 being the lowest quality and 70 being perfect. This will also be accompanied by a textual description of its condition and any imperfections (if any), wear and/or damage. If a coin or banknote has been damaged, cleaned repaired etc, a numerical grade may not be given.
PCGS Submission Tiers and Fees
Please see below for our current price list effective March 2023.
Please note that although we try to keep up to date with current pricing, prices may change without notice.
|COINS – SERVICE TIER – (*includes Gold Shield)||VALUE (AUD)||FEE (AUD)|
|Modern Value (1955 to date)*||$500||$37.00|
|Modern (1955 to date)*||$4,000||$62.00|
|Economy (pre-1955, non-gold)*||$500||$42.00|
|Gold* | Regular*||$4,000||$62.00|
|Express* | Error*||$16,500||$110.00|
|Bulk (min 100 coins, same tier)*||–||POA|
|Submission Fee (per tier)||–||$20.00|
|BANKNOTES – SERVICE TIER – (*includes Gold Shield)||VALUE (AUD)||FEE (AUD)|
|Modern (1960 to date)*||$500||$42.00|
|Economy (pre 1960)*||$500||$47.00|
|Value* | Special* | Error*||$1,500||$62.00|
|Bulk (min 50 notes, same tier)*||$500||POA|
|Submission Fee (per tier)||–||$20.00|
|True View Imaging||$8.50|
|Regrade||+ 1% GP|
|Restoration||+ 3% GP|
|Return Transit Insurance||4% of submission value|
2023 Shipping Dates
To streamline our processing procedures, we have decided to have dedicated ‘ship dates’ for 2023. Please see chart below for delivery deadline and shipping dates for 2023.
All deliveries are to be sent to – PO Box 302, Moonah TAS 7009
|RECEIVE BY||SHIPMENT DATES|
- Choose carefully the coins/banknotes you wish for grading, keeping in mind that PCGS will not give a numerical grade to coins/banknotes which have been damaged, environmentally or otherwise, cleaned or altered surface. A full list of reasons including explanations can be found at PCGS here.
- Place coins carefully (using cotton gloves) individually into 2 ½ x 2 ½ Mylar flips.
- Stack Mylar flips in bundles of 10 coins and secure with rubber band. Please do not use tape or similar. Sending coins any other way may result in extra charges.
- Wrap bundles securely in bubble wrap or similar ready for postage.
- Banknotes can be packaged similarly in banknote sleeves and placed between two sheets of appropriately sized cardboard for protection. Please also refrain from using tape or similar as this can cause damage whilst trying to remove.
- Coins and banknotes for grading can be sent securely (via signed delivery) to our post office box.
- PO Box 302, Moonah TAS 7009
- Please add all of your contact details, including phone and email, as we will need this to let you know once they have been received.
- Once received, we will process them in time for our next shipping date. You will receive an email outlining your coins/banknotes for grading. Will will also ask you to confirm important details such as service provider, value and optional extra requirements. Once confirmation has been received, your coins are ready to be shipped.
- PCGS can take anywhere from 8 to 24 weeks to complete the grading process. An updated guide as to their current turn around times can be found on their website here.
- We will contact and invoice you upon your items return. Once payment has cleared, your coins/banknotes will be returned to your nominated shipping address.
- All services, prices and fees listed herein are subject to change and without notice.
- Tasmanian Numismatics will not be held liable for coins/banknotes which are deemed ‘ungradeable’ by the service provider and not given a numerical grade.
- Whilst all due care is taken, Tasmanian Numismatics will not be held liable for coins/banknotes lost or damaged in whilst in transit.